The Flemish Council for Science and Innovation (VRWI) was established by decree on 30 April 2009 as the strategic advisory council for the policy areas science and innovation.
The VRWI is the successor of the Flemish Science Policy Council (VRWB).
The Flemish Government is obligated to ask for advice on:
- draft bills concerning science and innovation policy;
- draft conclusions of the Flemish Government concerning science and innovation policy, having strategic importance.
The VRWI can proactively or on request of the government:
- publish advisory reports on the outlines of flemish science and innovation policy;
- publish advisory reports on draft bills concerning science and innovation policy;
- publish advisory reports on bills concerning science and innovation policy;
- publish advisory reports on draft conclusions of the Flemish Government;
- publish advisory reports on agreements of strategic importance which the Flemish Community or the Flemish Region wishes to enter into with the federal state or with other Belgian communities and regions, and on drafts of European and international treaties of strategic importance;
- reflect upon the policy notes submitted to the Flemish Parliament;
- monitor and interpret societal developments;
- contribute to forming policy visions;
- offer strategic advise and perform studies on long term developments and challenges in science and innovation policy, in particular on their international dimension;
- publish a yearly advisory report on the current and future budget policy concering science and innovation policy.
The Flemish Government can furthermore autorise the VRWI to represent the Flemish Community or Flemish Region in federal or international advisory bodies.